Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Interview With Erotica Novelist Eden Baylee

Eden Baylee remembers hiding under the blankets with a flashlight and reading an erotic novel. It was past her bedtime—she was eleven.


Since then, she has continued to read and write erotica. Equipped with an active imagination, few inhibitions, and a passion for words, she is fortunate to have experienced much of what she writes about, and she integrates many of her favorite things into her stories.


Fall into Winter is Eden’s first book. Visit her website to find out where it’s sold.

Connect with Eden on her *Website, on Twitter, and on Facebook.
*Website is adults only


What is the current project you are working on?

I’m finishing my second anthology of erotic novellas entitled Spring into Summer. It’s currently in “edit-mode.” At the same time, I’m also promoting my current book, Fall into Winter.

 


 

Did you always want to be a writer?

It’s not like it was ever a burning urge inside me, but I thought it would be a cool way to earn a living. That’s been my thought from the time I was fifteen, and I’ve continued to write since then.

What inspired you to become a writer?

I’ve always loved to read. I picked up Story of Owhen I was eleven and got lost in the world of BDSM and a whole new vocabulary. I had never experienced anything quite like that book, and it left an indelible mark on my psyche.

What is the best thing about being a writer?

Writing. I do it everyday, and it’s never boring. Another great thing is the people I’ve met—some inspiring indie authors through the social networks. Some are published, some not, yet we have a connection that is unique to people in the field. It’s not to sound exclusive, but when you go through similar experiences of writing and publishing, it’s a real gift to meet people whom I can talk to about it.

What is the worst thing about being one?

Right now, it’s the juggling of writing, editing, and promoting. There will never be enough time in a day for me just to write, let alone do all three. Unlike most authors I’ve met, I don’t have a day job, so I certainly have more time to devote to this than most, but there’s always the realization that time is a finite commodity. Sleep is what usually suffers when I have to get it all done.

Who is your favorite author?

There are so many, but the ones whom I love to read for the erotic elements are: Henry Miller, Anais Nin, Charles Bukowski, John Fowles, and Vladimir Nabokov.

For laughs: Carl Hiaasen, Elmore Leonard, Tom Robbins.

For some mindless entertainment: Jeffrey Deaver or any other paperback on the NY Times Bestseller list.

Currently, I’m reading books from many of the indie authors I’ve connected with, and I’m so impressed with the quality of the writing. I follow some excellent writers.

How has your life changed since you became a writer?

I was a banker for twenty years before I took the leap to writing full-time in January 2010, so it’s been a major shift in routine. I actually love that I don’t have to go into an office daily and work with people. I’m an introvert and enjoy my own space. I’ve had the great fortune to re-create myself and do what I want to do, so my creative juices feel like they’re in overdrive some days.

Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t a bad thing, and I’m not complaining, but I go back to the point I made earlier about time being a “finite commodity.”

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to become a writer?

Three simple things: Keep writing. Be persistent. Believe in yourself.

What do you like to do besides writing?

Music: I’m a bit of a music snob, so I love listening to it or going to live concerts when the opportunity arises. I have a feature called “Musical Mondays” on my blog where I write about music, songs, and musicians whom I enjoy. You’ll find a very eclectic selection of blues, jazz, guitarists, and rock ‘n roll. Most of the musicians on there are dead, which just goes to show you that I’m not much into modern music, though I’m open to listening to new stuff.

Travel: I love to travel because it opens up my world to new experiences, people, and languages. Learning anything new is the best way to inspire my writing.

Food: I love to eat because I’m usually with people when I do, and it’s a very social thing for me. When I’m alone and writing. I usually forget to eat.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a writer?

As I said earlier, I was a banker. For ten years, I was a financial advisor, and the last ten was spent in fraud consulting building programs to catch bad guys.

What are some of your favorite books?

The Magus by John Fowles

Ham on Rye and Post Office by Charles Bukowski or any of his books of poetry

Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller

And of course, Story of O by Pauline Reage.

How would you describe your education?

Heavy on the sciences. I wanted to pursue psychiatry at one point, but decided I didn’t want to devote all that time to med school. I was horrible with sciences anyway. My undergrad was filled with psych courses, and that’s what I majored in.

How would you describe the writing "scene" where you live?

My writing “scene” is primarily virtual. It’s a solitary profession to be a writer, and I don’t go out with authors and discuss writing. I have friends who are writers, but it’s rare we talk about the profession unless there’s a book launch or signing, then of course, we call on each other for support.

I’ve only been at this for a little over a year, so I’m still learning. The virtual aspect of blogging, giving online interviews, and doing radio shows is pretty much my “scene.”

How has social media changed the publishing industry?

I can only speak for myself, but it’s given me tremendous power to connect with people such as: authors, editors, publishers, interviewers, bloggers, etc.

I may have learned about self-publishing via the Internet, but the meat of what I needed to know was through my connection with other authors and learning their best practices. Without a doubt, the community of indie authors has been the greatest source of knowledge for me.

What is your thought process like when you’re writing?

Wow, that’s a really open question, John! I’m not sure I have a thought process.

I’m not one who deconstructs my writing, and I’m the ultimate “pantser” because I dislike organization. Sure, I know there is some structured thought process in what I do, but not much. Sometimes I jot notes, sometimes I talk into a tape recorder if I have ideas, and most of the time, I come up with great plots while taking a shower. It makes for long showers and expensive water bills.

Ultimately, because I write erotica, I must be able to “feel” my stories when I’m writing them. Given that, much of what I write needs to arouse me first, otherwise I cannot expect it to arouse anyone else.

If you could have any book in the world. Which would it be?

To possess a book is not important to me. I’m a minimalist, really, because “things,” including books are not what excite me. What turns my crank is what I get out of it. Once a book is read, I’d prefer to pass it on and let someone else get enjoyment from it. A rare book in my collection would just gather dust.

If you could be any animal. What would it be?

I think elephants are amazing animals because of their incredible memories and intelligence. They are also self-aware creatures and exhibit social behavior similar to humans.

If you could have any super power. What would it be?

I’ve answered this once before in another interview and will give the same response here: Orgasma Girl - My superpower would be my sex-ray vision. I’d fly around the world seeking out the sexually repressed. Once I find them, I’d use my Orgasma Ogling technique to restore their sex lives.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptations?

I think if it’s done well, then it’s great. There are always going to be nuances in a book that cannot be captured on the big screen. It’s important to know this and watch the film with an open mind especially if you really loved the book.  In the hands of a skilled director, I think any good book can be turned into a good film, but you need to start with a strong script. Some of the ones I like are:

  • Stephen King’s The Shining

  • Cormac McCarthy’s No Country for Old Men.

  • Irvine Welsh’s Trainspotting.


 

Thanks John for your kind invitation to your blog. I really enjoyed the interview with you!

Thanks for doing the interview Eden. Come back to discuss your next book.

16 comments:

  1. Eden, fantastic interview..I can't wait for the next book..You know I loved the first one so much....You are truly such an amazing and talented author...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sex-ray vision...now that is a novel concept. I love it, Eden. Another fantastic interview. I learn more about you all the time, my lovely friend. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eden! We gave up our day jobs at the exact same time! I didn't realize that...
    LOVE elephants. You'd make a great one with your amazing, caring heart... definite matriarch of your herd...
    Every time I read one of your interviews I learn a little more. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview, Eden. You did a good job answering the questions, even the hard ones. I loved all of the movies you listed, though I would love to see what The Shining could be like with great special effects and all the story elements added. You are one of the nicest, hardest working people I know. Great work with your interview, as always. I look forward to the next one.

    Always something new to learn.

    Draven Ames

    ReplyDelete
  5. Savannah, thanks so much for your comment here on John's blog. I really appreciate it!

    eden

    ReplyDelete
  6. Al, hehehe, you know I'm a wacky type of gal! Thanks for leaving a comment. It's always a pleasure to get a visit from you.

    eden

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patti, we did? WOW! Soul Sista! Yeah, elephants, I once saw a documentary about them and how they returned to the place where their families were buried, even after years and years. It was extremely touching.
    Thanks so much for your comment.

    eden

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Draven, thanks for stopping by John's blog to leave a comment. Yes, The Shining was an incredible movie. I'm not sure if another director may have added more special FX, but I thought Kubrick did an excellent job. It still haunts me today when I think about it.

    Thanks for all your kind words, Eden

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview, I love your style Eden! Forthright and open, you are the best. I agree with how wonderful it is to connect to amazing writers through the social media and for me you are one of those writers. It really is an honour to have the opportunity to meet other writers and share their experiences, support each other, etc. Thanks for the great interviews you have been giving and also conducting!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle! So great to see you here on John's site. I really appreciate your supportive words. You are simply lovely.
    eden

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was a great interview Eden. Great questions John! I really didn't need to read your interview to know you are a special person and writer. I loved you first book. As someone who doesn't read a lot of erotica I was amazed at how a woman would deal with the subject and make it... hot. You did that, Eden.
    You are also one of the smartest people I know and am so happy that I get the chance to connect and tweet with you. Looking at the list of commentors it goes to your credit to have such a group of great writers and friends acknowledging you.
    I am looking forward to your next book and seeing what you have to say on your blog.
    You are sweet and pretty and so helpful to others I find I smile whenever I see your name. Next time you're flying over Thailand zap me with you sex-ray-- I'll try not to make too much noise.

    Great job, Eden!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Orgasma Girl!!! I love it. Great interview!

    Fall into Winter was so very good, I can't wait to read Spring into Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really great interview John and Eden!

    I love all of the authors you listed, I am a huge fan of Bukowski as well. And elephants are awesome animals.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My dearest Dannie,

    You are an amazing man, and your comments always make me laugh, and I think you know I love to laugh!
    Thank you for your kind words, and I could not be more thrilled to be connected with you in the Twitterverse, as an author, and in life. And yes, next time I'm coming to Thailand armed with my sex Raybans just for you!

    eden

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lisa! Thanks for stopping by to comment. Bukowski was something else, wasn't he? I would have loved to share a bottle of scotch with him - the crotchety bastard!
    eden

    ReplyDelete
  16. Allison, thanks so much for your comment here, and appreciate your kind words about my book. I look forward to reading the finished product of Spring into Summer myself!

    eden

    ReplyDelete